Friday, July 19, 2013

The Art Of Mort Kunstler

I've always enjoyed the artwork that adorned the men's adventure magazines of the 1950's and 60's.  One of the most profilic artists in this genre was Mort Kunstler.  He was great at depicting war scenes, as these examples clearly show.
My favorite war piece of his is this stunning U.S. Navy frogmen painting done in 1964 for the magazine For Men Only.
I also really like these man vs. undersea creature pieces he did back around the same time.

And finally, Kunstler was great at depicting the groovy disco era of the late 60's.  I really like the psychedelic colors in this piece.
All these scans are from the wonderful Heritage Auctions site.  There are also many more wonderful Kunstler pieces there so I definitely recommend checking them out.





1 comment:

Todd Franklin said...

A master illustrator that for sure!