Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Golden Anniversary of Friendship 7

Yesterday marked the 50th anniversary of John Glenn's Mercury flight aboard the capsule Friendship 7. It was the first orbital mission for the United States and it marked a very important turning point in America's race with the Russians. Glenn became a national hero and the space program was the focus of practically everybody in America at the time. I was fortunate to get a signed copy of Glenn's memoirs several years ago and it's the pride of my space autograph collection.
There are many sites online that celebrate this historic mission. This site has some wonderful desktop wallpapers that are just gorgeous. One of them is at the top of the post and this one is really neat too.
Of course, every kid at the time wanted to be an astronaut. The closest most of us got was playing with our G.I. Joe Astronaut figure. The capsule was sold separately naturally. I have an original capsule but I ended up getting the newer Mercury Astronaut figure some time back. It's always fun to recreate the historic missions of the Original Seven.
Hopefully there will be historic missions similar in scope to Friendship 7 in the future. I just hope I'm around to see them. For more info about the mission and his encounter with the man himself, check out my buddy Neato Coolville's blog.