Saturday, October 29, 2011

World Series Programs Of Yesteryear

After watching the St. Louis Cardinals win a very exciting World Series last night, I was motivated to find all the WS programs I've acquired through the years. I was lucky enough to attend one of the classic WS games of the modern era, Game 6 of the 1985 Series between my beloved favorite team from childhood the Kansas City Royals and their neighbors from the east side of the state, the aforementioned Cardinals. The Royals came back from the brink of elimination by the aid of a bad call at first by the immortal Don Dekinger. Although that was a bad call, the Royals still had to finish out the Redbirds in that game and then in Game 7, which they won handily. My mom took me through free tickets she got through her work. They were pretty amazing seats, lower level behind the third base dugout about three rows from the top of the section. They cost a whopping $30. I shudder to think what those seats would cost now.
It was the most exciting sporting event I've ever been to. I missed out on the 1980 World Series, although my dad went with his stupid girlfriend and left his shattered ten year old son at home who loved the Royals more than anybody (yes, I'm still bitter after 32 years!). When I was collecting these programs and stub I realized with horror that I can't find the programs from those two series! I've torn this house apart looking for them and I'm ashamed to say that I think they're lost. That's unforgivable. I need to either find them or buy other copies soon. Since the Royals are probably never going to the World Series again, I need to have something to remember the times they were AL champions. Through the years I've picked up a few other WS programs. I went to a Los Angeles Dodgers game in 1985 and they had old WS programs for sale in their gift shop and I picked up a copy of the 1965 program between the Dodgers and the Twins. I think it's the coolest WS cover of all time. The Space Race and the National Pastime together on one cover. It was too good to be true!
My neighbor when I was little went to the World Series in Cincinnati in 1976 and picked me up a program. I think he had family up there. Anyway, I was excited since the Reds were my favorite NL team at the time. And they beat the hated Yankees that year so it was a good year all around in the world of baseball.
And for some reason, I have a copy of the program for the 1990 series between the Oakland A's and the Reds. I think I picked it up at a card show.
I don't think it's as rare to get these programs anymore. It used to be you could only get them at the games but I saw this year's program at Barnes & Noble yesterday. They're a neat collectible and I need to start collecting these and other programs from my youth, starting with the 80 and 85 programs. Now excuse me while I go cry and tear my house apart again looking for them.

1 comment:

Todd Franklin-stein said...

A lot cooler than the modern programs!