Sunday, September 18, 2011

Metal Memories Part 1

When I was in high school and college in the late 80's-early 90's, my friends and I went to a lot of concerts. At the time most of the big acts came through Kansas City at least once a year and if they were loud and heavy, you'd usually find me and my metal buddies there. I was a little more into hair metal at the time and Motley Crue were at the top of my list. Their Dr. Feelgood album had come out in 1989 and they launched a huge world tour in November. I worked right by a ticket outlet at the time and the girl there had a crush on me so she pulled the first line number (remember those?) for me and I managed to score front row seats. I was super excited. I had never been that close before. My college buddy and I couldn't wait for the big day. The show sold out really fast and I was really paranoid about not losing the tickets. The big day finally came, November 21, 1989. The two of us and his cousin headed down to Kemper Arena to catch the most anticipated show of the year. Warrant opened up the proceedings and rocked the house but we came for one thing and one thing only, the mighty Crue. Of course, being a kid who had a job that paid pretty good for a 19 year old, I had to get a shirt. I wore this puppy out in college after the show.
The show was great and we were blown away (literally, we could feel the heat from the pyro). It was one of the best concert experiences of my life. Little did I know that several years later, a bootleg of the footage shown on the arena scoreboard would surface. I could now relive this great show. Here are a few songs from the show courtesy of Youtube member Rattmaster86. Needless to say I was hooked on metal shows after this barnburner. Concerts are fun now but when you're 19 and headbanging without feeling awful for the next week, it was truly special. Stay tuned for more concert memories as I remember them!

1 comment:

Todd Franklin said...

Since I didn't live close enough to a major city, I missed out on most concerts. So, it's always fun to hear others talk about their concert experience. Great post!