Friday, June 12, 2009

Plaza Theatre Kansas City, MO



One of my all time favorite movie theaters is the Plaza Theater in Kansas City, MO. Located on the famous Country Club Plaza shopping area, it served the Kansas City area for a little over 70 years. It opened in 1928 with a beautiful Spanish style architecture that fit in well with the rest of the area. It was a grand old movie palace with a beautiful interior as this shot of the auditorium from the 1940's shows.



It remained a single screen house for many years. It was twinned in the 1970's and triplexed in the 1980's. This shot from 1979 was not long after it was twinned.



I started going there a lot when I was in college. I loved the retro style of the place and it was still in pretty good shape. I was crushed when it closed in 1998 in order to put a Restoration Hardware into the building. It's a travesty that I'm still upset about over 10 years later. I did keep the ticket stub from the final time I went there.



I have a lot of great memories of this fantastic theater and it's a big shame that it's no longer there.

3 comments:

Todd Franklin said...

Great post! Yeah, it is a travesty that it was turned into a Restoration Hardware. If movies weren't profitable then the city should of purchased it and turned it into a performing arts theater. It was much nicer than the Midland.

m@ said...

My father managed the plaza theater for years. My mother also worked there and I spent much of my childhood in that building as they were the managers and the janitors. I know this post is over a year old, but I thought I would comment anyway as I was looking for info online about it. I was there when it was a single screen, and then for both of the modifications. My father left the job when I was about 16 (about 1989). I grew up in that theater. And it was glorious. I even got to see where the actor's areas were (where they put on their makeup and got ready for performances). Feel free to shoot me a line to discuss further. Thank you for posting.

Mike Middleton said...

That's really cool you got to spend a lot of time there. I miss that theater a lot and get bummed out every time I go down there.