Sunday, March 8, 2009

Eisenhower Library And Museum



Last weekend my buddies and I drove two and a half hours west to Abilene, KS, home of former President Dwight Eisenhower and his Presidential Library and Museum. Eisenhower was one of my favorite presidents and I have a great interest in World War II so this is one of my favorite museums. There are many outstanding items on display here. One of my favorites is the actual table Ike and his generals used to plan the D-Day invasion in 1944.



Another one of a kind item there is the actual pen used in the surrender ceremony of the Germans in 1945.



There were a lot of cool uniforms worn by soldiers, sailors, and airmen throughout the war, including the famous Eisenhower jacket and a full uniform from the famed Screaming Eagles from the 101st Airborne Division.





The museum covers Ike's entire life, including a comprehensive wing devoted to his presidency and the Cold War era of the 1950's. There was a very cool display devoted to the typical 1950's living room that I thought was great.



Every item in the museum has been meticulously maintained and all the items look great. This range that was used in the White House back then looks brand new.



I had a great time there and I wholeheartedly recommend going to any of the Presidential Museums across the country. I've been to five of them and have enjoyed them all but I think the Eisenhower Museum is my favorite. It's a great road trip.

1 comment:

Todd Franklin said...

I think I could live in that 1950's living room.