Sunday, February 15, 2009

Filmation



One of my favorites cartoons as a kid was the Filmation version of Tarzan. Voiced by the one and only Bob Ridgely, who also voiced Flash Gordon for the company and was the guiding voice behind Thundarr The Barbarian, the animation and stories riveted me to my seat as a little kid. I loved pretty much everything Filmation put out, even the cheesy live action stuff like Shazam! and Isis. I had a huge crush on Joanna Cameron at the time. I finally wrote her a few years ago and got this cool autographed picture of her in her signature role.



My biggest thrill involving Filmation however was meeting co-founder Lou Scheimer at the San Diego Con in 2000. I was very fortunate to get to talk to him a long time about many of the shows he helped put together back then, like Fat Albert, Star Trek, and the aforementioned Tarzan and Flash Gordon. He was extremely friendly and gracious with his time. I'm really glad I got my picture taken with him and a signed Tarzan cel.



Fortunately, a lot of the Filmation product is available on DVD now. These great shows are must haves for children of the 70's like me.