Friday, December 26, 2008

Superman Day 1940

I got the fantastic book The DC Vault for Christmas. It contains many never before seen pictures and artifacts from the history of DC Comics. One of the coolest things in there were pictures from Superman Day at the 1940 New York World's Fair. The character was only a year or two old at the time and this marked the first time an actor appeared as Superman. I had never seen a color picture from this event before so I was thrilled to see this picture. The costume's not too bad.



They also showed a sketch of a poster promoting the event that was never produced. I love the images of Superman with the Trylon and Perisphere.



The final thing was this cool sign up form for the athletic events for the kids to determine who the super-boy and super-girl of 1940 were going to be. What better way to spend time at the fair than running an obstacle course and skipping rope!



We need to have World's Fairs come back. There definitely needs to be another Superman Day!

1 comment:

Todd Franklin said...

Man, I need to get this book. I have the Marvel Vault, but now I need the DC one. Think they'll do a Gold Key or maybe a Charlton one? Ha!