Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sir Alec

One of my all time favorite actors is the great Sir Alec Guinness. Of course, I first became familiar with him as Ben Kenobi in Star Wars but he is also in another one of my favorite movies, Lawrence Of Arabia. He brought class and dignity to every role he played throughout his decades long career. He also had the greatest voice in movie history. I could listen to him reading the phone book and I'd be greatly entertained. He appeared on Late Night With David Letterman in 1986 to promote his then new biography. Here's the first part of that interview.



Unfortunately, the second part isn't up but I remember him talking a little about Star Wars and some of his other film work. You could tell Dave was excited about having him there.

A few years earlier he was awarded an honorary Oscar for his great service to the film industry. This is the footage from that night in 1980. He gives a gracious and humble acceptance speech after the strange intro by Dustin Hoffman. It definitely fit the man, one of the greatest actors of all time.

1 comment:

Todd Franklin said...

I wish I could find my tape with this!