Friday, October 10, 2008

Worlds Of Fun



One of the more memorable places from my childhood was the Worlds Of Fun amusement park in Kansas City. Opened in 1973, it was one of the largest parks in the Midwest. I remember going there often when I was a kid. Unlike a lot of kids, I had a huge fear of roller coasters. I would go just to hang out with my relatives and watch them go on all the thrill rides. I loved the main sign out front. The huge balloon captivated me. It still looks much the same as it did when I was a kid.



Across the highway from the park is a very cool water tower painted in the Worlds Of Fun colors. It's an overlooked Kansas City icon is a probably the coolest water tower I've ever seen.



I haven't been in a while so the park has changed quite a bit since the last time I've been there. They change rides every few years or so and is still really popular locally.



The park used to have a lot of name music acts come through for concerts at their theater. This ad from 1977 showcases some of the more popular groups that came to the park that summer.



That Starland Vocal Band show would have been fantastic! For more info on this great park, check out this site that had a lot of cool info and a great timeline of the park. If you're ever in Kansas City, check out this great attraction.

1 comment:

Todd Franklin said...

Ok, next year let's get a bunch of people together and go.