Friday, August 22, 2008

1964 New York World's Fair



My newest collecting interest these last few weeks has been the 1964-65 New York World's Fair. I think a lot of it has to do with my interest in classic Disneyland. Walt designed several attractions for the fair which he later took to Disneyland, most notably It's A Small World, Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, and The Carousel Of Progress. I think one of the things that fascinates me about the fair is the "groovy" 1960's look to it. The Googie architecture and the space age vibe a lot of the pavilions gave off just resonates with me. I bought a cool postcard book a few weeks ago that shows this style.





I've been looking up facts about the fair and reading up on the few books out there about the history of it. This site is very comprehensive and has a lot of cool pictures while this fantastic book by Bill Cotter is a must have for fans of the fair. It has a ton of great pictures that Bill took himself while he was at the fair as a kid.

One of the cooler things I got from the library was the Official Guidebook. It has tons of cool promotional art like this piece from the Hall Of Science space show.



I think I'll enjoy collecting stuff from this cool fair. Just what I need, more things to spend money on!

2 comments:

Todd Franklin said...

Watch out! It will start with postcards and then you'll pick up a couple of old brochures followed by books and magazines. Then it will get real bad as you start buying s/p sets and souvenir spoons. Yep, you'll be a full blown 64-65 NYWF collector in no time.

The 1939 fair is still cooler!

Mike Middleton said...

The 64 is cooler for one reason...audio-animatronics!